вторник, 18 августа 2015 г.

10 идиом с глаголом draw



1. draw a blank = not know the answer

I'm afraid I'm drawing a blank. I just don't know what to do.
Who is that person over there? I'm drawing a blank.

2. draw a line between something and something else = distinguish between two things

You should draw a line between your private life and work.
Some people have a hard time drawing a line between friends and family.

3. draw blood = cause someone to bleed

He drew blood during his last five boxing matches.
Don't worry, I didn't draw any blood!

4. draw interest = create interest, become popular

Any time a new movie comes out, you'll see articles in magazines trying to draw interest to the movie.
His crazy comments drew interest during the presidential campaign.

5. draw someone out = ask questions in order to get someone to speak in detail about something

Make sure to ask her lots of questions. It's hard to draw her out and she'll try to keep everything secret.
If you keep asking questions, you can draw anyone out on almost any subject.

6. draw fire away from something = create a distraction so that people don't pay attention to something else

I'd like you to go out and draw fire away from the institution. Do anything you can? We can't have people looking into this matter too deeply.
Politicians don't answer direct questions in order draw fire away from something that has gone wrong.

7. draw something to a close = begin finishing a process

Let's draw this meeting to a close by reviewing decisions we've made.
If you don't mind, I'd like to draw dinner to a close. I've got an early flight tomorrow.

8. draw something up = create a contract, proposal, report, etc.

Now that we've agreed. Let's draw a contract up and get to work.
Could you draw up a proposal for next week's meeting?

9. draw the line at something = to set the limit of tolerance

I'm afraid I draw the line at speaking poorly of my friends.
If you were in a difficult position, would you draw the line at breaking the law to resolve your situation?

10. draw to a close = end something

Thank you Mary. And with that, our presentation draws to a close. Thank you for coming this evening.
I'd like to draw the class to a close. Remember to do your homework for Monday.

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий